17th Sunday of the Year
Readings: 1 Kings 3:5, 7-12, Psalm 118, Rom 8:28-30, Matthew 13:44-46
“The gifts we seek”
SERVICES FOR WEEK 25th July – 2nd August 2020
Sat 25 July 18.00 Kathleen, John & Olga Bowman (Creasy)
Sun 26 July 17th SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME (A)
08.30 Carmela Santofiore-Morardo (Santofiore)
10.30 Derek Botterill RIP (Botterill)
Parish Mass – available on website at any time
The Parish of St John Fisher
Mon 27 July 09.30 Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
10.00 Christa Frake RIP (Frake)
Tues 28 July Nicolas Howard (Lee)
Weds 29 July 09.30 Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
10.00 St Martha Carol Read (Hughes)
Thurs 30 July Joseph Walker
Fri 31 July 09.30 Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
10.00 Marion Evans (Aspeek)
Sat 1 Aug 18.00 Jeff Plant (Harper)
Sun 2 Aug 18th SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME (A)
08.30 Elaine Pegg RIP (Traynor)
10.30 John & Bridget Harrington RIP (Frake)
Parish Mass – available on website at any time
The Choir (Anderson)
Prayer of St. Alphonsus – My Jesus, I believe that You are present in this Most Holy Sacrament of the altar. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come spiritually into my soul so that. I may unite myself wholly to You now and forever. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.
FINANCES – from the Diocesan and Parish finance teams.
Many thanks to all who are delivering weekly offerings .
Direct Bank Payments to RCAS St John Fisher Church, Sort code 51 70 14, Account 01831763
Please ensure you put your name on the transaction code so that we can thank you later.
LINKS AND CONTACTS.
Our Diocese of Southwark: http://www.rcsouthwark.co.uk Lots of information and further links.
Bexley Council Helpline: 020 3045 5398. The helpline is open from 8am to 6pm.
As you know the obligation to attend Sunday Mass has been suspended. The wonders of modern technology have though, enabled many people to view mass remotely and participate in a virtual way. Our church is in fact open again so many can, and do come to mass on Sunday. Others still choose for very good reasons to view the mass at home or to come to mass during the week when it is a little less busy and all this is fine. We are dealing with church regulation.
What we shouldn’t lose sight of though is God’s Commandment to “Keep holy the Sabbath Day”.
When many of us were younger shops weren’t even open on Sundays and society supported a different lifestyle on Sundays. Now it remains a challenge for each of us to find ways in which we can be with the Lord and keep the day holy. Family gatherings can be part of this and so can reflection time, so a question: How do you choose to obey the Commandment?
The Sunday Obligation is suspended so you are still free to stay at home and participate spiritually in the mass via the website or attend mass during the week if you want to.
SUNDAY MASS IN ST. JOHN FISHER
• Those who attend MUST WEAR A FACIAL COVERING. Depending on numbers attending, you may be invited to remove it before mass begins. It doesn’t need to be a mask. Many are using scarves and other coverings.
• Facial coverings are not needed for weekday masses at the moment.
• Everyone will be carefully guided to their seats by our stewards so please arrive early.
• Hands can be cleansed on entry.
• There will be no toilet facilities available.
• Mass will be shorter than usual with no singing or bidding prayers.
• The reception of Holy Communion is carefully regulated at a distance and only in the hand.
• Anyone who is unwell or who is isolating should not attend.
• If you attend you will be asked to give your name with a contact detail so that we can participate in the track-and-trace scheme that the government is running
SUNDAY MASS ON THE WEBSITE
• If you haven’t found it yet, then on the website: http://www.stjohnfisherbexley.org go to the Sunday Mass button and click.
• If you are a Parish Reader you can exercise your ministry by emailing Peter Murphy on email@example.com
We are very grateful indeed to the stewards who have volunteered to staff the church during these times. One will be in the porch to give instructions and others will be in the church to supervise and to usher. They will also help cleanse the church after Sunday masses.
Please ring John Rayer (01322 523499) if you are available for any of the Sunday masses.
During this time, as we are unable to place our book of prayer requests on the altar during the Mass so we will have a monthly prayer list for anyone who is unwell or undergoing treatment and we will pray at Sunday Mass for those on the list. To get your request for prayer for someone please send an email or post a note to the Parish Office marked ‘Prayer List’. The list will be renewed each month. The August list is now open.
There isn’t much activity around and about yet but if there is then let us know and we can include a notice here in the newsletter.
You can receive this newsletter by email by contacting me at firstname.lastname@example.org