With the Maintenance Fund now firmly established, I thought it might be helpful to let you know how the money is being spent. The problems with the church heating system (see the details below) meant we had to delay some of the work we had planned to carry out. One job in particular, the painting of all the external doors, was put on hold. Some of the doors were badly weathered which has made the task more difficult but it has now been completed. Chris, who has been doing the work, is also going to paint the wooden facia boards above the canopy at the front of the church. Unfortunately they are very badly weathered and rotting in some places. He is going to patch them and paint them for now but we will have to consider replacing them (possibly with plastic) in the next couple of years.
Another long standing job to replace the disabled toilet in the hall with one that is slightly higher and more suitable has also been completed and various leaky taps in the hall and church have been replaced.
A recent electrical safety inspection (by contractors appointed by the diocese) gave the church and hall a clean bill of health but it revealed a whole series of issues in the presbytery that have to be put right. Work will start on those in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks to our teams of volunteers we have managed to spruce up the flower beds. We are spending some money on a membrane and wood chips to smother the weeds to make them easier the maintain and we are hoping to launch a scheme for parishioners to sponsor a rosebush in the Autumn.
Many of you will have noticed that the front gate leading to the presbytery has got smaller! It hasn’t been vandalised it’s just been cut in half! Previously the gate was difficult to open and close and these days enclosed front gardens are seen as a security risk. We are now looking at the possibility of lowering two of the fence panels, either side of the gate, also to improve visibility.
There are a number of other jobs that need doing and top of the list is sanding and sealing the hall floor!!! So please keep supporting our fundraising events!
Peter Murphy (Premises Committee)
The work to repair the heating was completed last year and it worked successfully throughout the winter. By now everyone has got used to seeing the new copper pipe around the top of the church below the windows. Although we would have liked to be able to hide the pipe behind the woodwork the cost of removing the old leaky pipe would have been prohibitively expensive and disruptive.
Just to recap on what went wrong:
Two years ago we found that a part of the heating system which keeps the water at a constant pressure had stopped working. It dated back to the building of the church in 1975 and could not be repaired. Various alternatives were considered but eventually the company which service and maintain the boilers advised us that it would have to be replaced.
A new unit was ordered and, after some delays, was installed at the start of December. However once it was fitted and the system was refilled, water began pouring down from the roof space in one corner of the church.
Everything was shut off and we discovered that the church had two heating circuits. One just above floor level and the other in the roof, just below the windows. Unfortunately there are no plans of the heating system in the church files so no-one on the premises committee or at the maintenance company was aware of the pipework.
The heating engineers discovered that part of the high level pipework was corroded. Although they might have been able to replace the section they advised us that other parts of the pipe might be similarly affected. They also pointed out that there was no automatic system for getting rid of air from the pipework, a fact which may have contributed to the corrosion and which dates back to the original installation.
With Christmas rapidly approaching we decided the quickest solution would be to shut down the top heating circuit and rely on the lower system to warm-up the church. It should have been relatively easy but after 42 years the two-cut off valves refused to shut down.
It was another week before our heating engineers were able to organise scaffolding so they could work on the pipes and install two new valves. The scaffolding went up first thing in the morning on the Friday before our Christmas carol service. By midday, Mike from K&.T Heating had finished the job and tested it while we waited for the scaffolders to return and by 1.30 everything had been cleared away.
Since then we have continued to heat the church using only the lower circuit.
Is the top circuit necessary?
Something we wondered at first but the whole point of the top level is to create a cushion of warm air in the roof and so prevent the heat from the lower level rising up behind the wood panelling and going straight out the windows. It also helps to stop condensation on the windows and frames and so prevent corrosion. The recent very cold snap demonstrated that the lower circuit on it’s own was not enough.
Having consulted with two companies that specialise in church heating it became clear that the easiest and cheapest solution would be to install a new pipe. We accepted a quote from K&T heating who have maintained our boilers for a number of years. They offered the cheapest solution and a much shorter time scale to complete the work. As well as the new pipe they are also arranging for the system to be flushed through and to check on a couple of valves that are showing signs of leaks.
Peter Murphy (Premises Committee)
A more cheerful picture taken from the top of the scaffolding!